RCU Forums - View Single Post - funstar 3d?
Thread: funstar 3d?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: funstar 3d?

ORIGINAL: t-max97

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

You did not mention what engine you plan to use. If you are limited to a 46 2-stroke, then go with a profile, as suggested.

I have flown a U-Can-Do 46, a Seagull Harrier 46, a Model Tech Magic 36, and a Kangke GeeBee profile (2 stroke). I suspect that the Magic is the closest to the Funstar. The Magic could not do knife-edge, the fuse was short, so hovering was difficult, and it did not track very well. But is was a lot of fun. I have only the U-Can-Do 46 left, and I plan to keep it as my main 3D plane. I also have a Phoenix Extra 330S, which is a very good pattern/3D plane if you can use a larger engine like a 60-90, but it is not as forgiving as the U-Can-Do 46.
I was looking at the phoenix 330s also, how does it fly and does it have a light wing loading? Thanks
The Phoenix Extra 330S is one of the best planes I have ever flown!!! It is an incredible value also. It comes very complete, quite large and well built, with good hardware. It is also very light wing loading, assuming you don't put a 20cc gasser in it. I put a Fox 74 and it hauls, but not a 3D plane. It tracks perfectly, fast, turns tight.

The only negatives I experienced with the Phoenix Extra is the pilot figure is the wrong size (46-size) and looks like a French pimp or something. I might remove it someday. Another negative is the removable hatch rattles on mine, so I stuffed some foam under it to prevent the rattle. The fuse is so vast internally, that I had all kinds of space for locating the battery for CG balancing. Since the Fox 74 is fairly light, I had to put the battery right behing the fuel tank. It could go even further forward under the tank or behind the engine if needed.

Heck, the OS 55 AX would be enough power for the Phoenix Extra if you don't plan on doing wild 3D. It will still haul...Low weight, low drag.

If you want 3D, put a 90 in it with a big prop. A cheap ASP 90, or better yet, an SK 90 will be great. The SK 90 is reputed to spin very large props. My ASP 90 spins a 14x8 easily. The SK 90 will spin even bigger. Or you could go with a 4-stroke...