RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1st Float Plane
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 PM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st Float Plane

Buy the way I have 3 1/4 scale Cubs and 2 1/3 scale Cubs.. I Have one of my 1/3 scale Cub set up on floats permanently.. The 1/4 scale I move back and forth but I am building a set of floats and one of the 1/4 scale will become a dedicated float plane.. I find the bigger they are the easier they are to fly...The smaller Cubs can be a bit of a challenge to get off the ground but the 1/4 scale and up I find very easy to get in the air...Both on wheels or floats...I found the Hanger 9 floats to be a little on the flimsy side... They look nice and fit okay.. You need to watch for leaks constantly , I beefed mine up before they even went in the water.. I am building a set of my own solid core foam floats and I might use the hard ware from the hanger 9 floats unless somebody wants to buy them...I think they are over priced and although they work well They just don't stand up very well...I bought them for my PA18 because they were supposto bolt rite on and away you go.. I was so impressed with the plane that I thought the floats might be the same...They sure look great but man are they flimsy , like an egg shell almost...I had one float the needed to be replaced and it took four tries before I got one that wasn't damaged in shipping .. So if you are going to get the Hanger 9 1/4 scale Cub it is a great flyer and makes a wonderful float plane but expect to have a bit of work to do if you want to use the Hanger 9 floats.. Hanger 9's new PA18 is even better than their J3 Cub and makes a nicer float plane ..It has flaps ..