RCU Forums - View Single Post - HOB Micro Electric Cub
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 AM
WheatStateHobbies
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOB Micro Electric Cub

Hello all,

I purchased a HOB Micro Electric Cub kit over the weekend. Iactually had a customer come into my store (Wheat State Hobbies) here in Derby, KS. He came in to buy some gas tubing for his weedeater (happens all of the time). We got to talking and he had a Piper cub that his dad built 20 some years ago, it was electric. Long story short he was wanting to sell it so it would not get destroyed when they move. He brought it in and a 12 year old HOB Micro Electric Cub kit. I didn't but the complted Cub (yet) but I did pick up the kit.

What a wonderful kit! This is the first HOBkit I've ever built. It's kit # is BK-60. It is a Laser Cut kit, very nice. Everything went together quickly and straight! The wing in essence has a "built in jig" from how the parts were cut. It would be very hard for anybody to "screw up" this build. So far I've put in a combine total of maybe 8-10 hours over two days. She is ready for radio gear and another "lite sanding". Aftwards covering! This has been by far one of the quickest, if not quickest builds Ihave done!

I'm using a Rimfire 300 brushless as the power plant, I have not installed the speed controller yet so I don't recall what it is. The radio is a Spektrum 4 channel rcvr, the servos will be HS-55's or similar I'll have to see what Ihave in my "Box of stuff" that is in good shape. I'm trying to keep my expenses down so I'm reusing gear from previous models that are no longer with us! It'll have a 2 cell LiPo in it, again Idon't remember the size as it is not in front of me! I will post an update with all of the particulars on the components once Iwrite them all down. Teh covering will be Coverite Micolite Yellow, after all it is a Cub!

The build instructions (12 years old) calls for Ultracote, a NiCad or NiMh battery and a geared, brushless motor. It says the finished weight is 12oz and wing loading on the 160 sq in wing is 10.8oz / sq. foot. I'm thinking Iwill be knocking off anywhere from 2 to 4 oz from the finished weight so witha little bit of luck Ishould have the wing loading down in the neighbor hood of 8oz / sq. foot. Which would be great, as this plane is for my dad and his reflexs and eyesight are not what they used to be! He likes them large and slow. Well this one will not be all that large, 35" wingspan, but it should be somewhat slow for take off and landing and have enough thrust to kick it up a notch when needed. I foresee him flying it around a small lot next to where he lives at about 1/3 throttle. Which if my wing loading guestimates are close he will have a nice, highly visible park flyer!

I've attached some pictures of the plane as it stood last night when I got done. I used some of the scrap balsa to "hold"the tail feathers together for display purposes, so no those are not part of the model! The prop is just one I happened to have had layingaround,although I will be replacingit!

Bottom line, this will make one heck of a "Father's day gift"!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68002.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1886492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31362.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1886493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39732.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.4 KB