RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should I get a pilots license?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 07:27 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I get a pilots license?

ORIGINAL: OldRookie
ORIGINAL: mattnew
-slug in the engineering dept...
mattnew...As they say ''You can always tell an engineer, BUT you can't tell him much.''
In all of the shops I've worked in, the engineers submit what they think they want. We correct them and let them know what can actually be done. The engineer changes his submitted plans to what we suggest, and then we proceed from there.
Greg
There are always exceptions. It is discouraging that many engineers lack mechanical intuition. It is extremely rewarding being an engineer with mechanical intuition. I went the tech route for a little while. I was a carpenter and got tired of banging up my knees and knuckles. That's when I started looking at school again and found out about mechanical engineering. Its the best thing that ever happened to me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with delaying college until you are ready (if ever). College is much more rewarding when you realize what you are going for and have the ability to appreciate what is there (most kids don't appreciate the resources and hardly even use them - with two 4-year degrees, I've been to a few colleges).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a pilot's license too. Whether or not it is worth it depends on your expectations. If you want to fly to different places for vacation, or the "Hundred Dollar Hamburger", you need to realize the cost that is involved. If you just want to get in a plane and fly around, it is much more cost effective.

Airplane mechanics make decent money. There are airplane mechanic tech schools, you get a college experience and get to be around airplanes, and come out with an irreplaceable skill set.