RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should I get a pilots license?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I get a pilots license?

No need to be sorry. I found my degree, at the time, to not be worth much to employers who wanted experience. My abilities as an "engineer" came from the things I did growing up like building plastic models, drawing and designing, observing my older brother as he explored RC aircraft and helicopters and my father as he built control line and eventually RC too. I was sent to college by my parents "so I could get a job", but it took quite a while before the degree itself meant anything to any employers. My natural skills and attention to details got me the work that I needed to survive not the books and papers I had to write. The MET prgram was quite different from the standard ME as it had many classes with hands on work in the machine shop and drawing board (there were no CAD units anywhere and the programing we did was on the TRS-80 with a cassette).

So again I say, if you have the chance to learn to fly, do it! How many of your peers would even consider it as a goal? I think it takes a special kind of person especially at 15 to think beyond the easliy obtained goals to something as challenging and rewarding as learning to fly.

Jaybird