RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fuel for old engines
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 02:50 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
Default RE: Fuel for old engines

ORIGINAL: JKinTX
ORIGINAL: Dwayne According to the Bryon web site they use either 18% or 20% total oil content, this is pretty common and all you need to do is add 12 oz. of castor to a gallon of fuel this will bump your total oil content up to around 25% to 27% depending on what fuel you're using and you will be good to go. This is where I get my castor. http://brodak.com/castor-oil-quart.html
It doesn't work that way. When you dump more oil in the fuel you decrease the alcohol and nitro content (all other additives as well), so those have to increase by the same amount to keep the same ratio in the mix.
Dwayne is correct and JK is correct it you want to maintain the same so called consistency. It took a little while to figure out in a spreadsheet. I'm not sure though that the alcohol content is as critical, as the fuel is mixed is mixed and it just comes out that way, if you know what I mean. [:-]

Say you have 18% oil content, you add 12 ounces of oil to your fuel. What this will do is increase the oil content to 25%, but it will slightly dilute the other components. Say fuel is 15% nitro content. After adding the 12 ounce oil, now you have one gallon and 12 ounces of fuel; 15% nitro drops to 13.7%, alcohol drops from 67% to 61.3%.

If you started with 18% oil and 5% nitro, after adding you now have 25% oil, 4.7% nitro, alcohol of 77% drops to 70.4% and of course 1 gallon and 12 ounces of fuel.

If you wanted to withdraw some fuel from the 5% nitro full gallon jug and save it to another container, you would remove 10.8 ounces and put the same in oil to have the 25% oil content. Then take the other contain with 10.8 ounces original fuel, add 1.2 ounces of oil to give it 25% oil content.

Probably an easier scenario is to take an empty one gallon jug, fill it to half from the full gallon jug. Add 6 ounces oil to each. Now you can shake both bottles and be assured the oil fully mixed.