RCU Forums - View Single Post - New AT6 TEXAN from SEAGULL ?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New AT6 TEXAN from SEAGULL ?

Gary... a lot of RC activity with you.... keeps the doldrums away for sure.

My winter has been a season for upgrading with only one ARF build. The build was a Seagull Funfly .46-.55 that was given an Evolution 10cc gas.

Upgrades... almost all the fleet was upgraded to LiFe batteries and I finally moved from 72 to 2.4 with a JR 8XG and have converted most of the fleet to DMSS.

Only yesterday I flew a repowered Mustang from a HB .61 to an Evolution 15GX gas engine. I like the 10GX but loved the 15GX. I've one more repower project in the works and have the Saito 125 out of an Akrobat II and have an Evolution 20GX on the way to install. I'd purchased the Evolution 33GX for it, but the header on the pitts muffler would protrude out of the cowl and the engine would add nearly a pound of weight and I don't really think I need that kind of power, as the 20 should be quite similar to the Saito and it flew it very well.

The 33GX is now earmarked for a future project, perhaps the next a Great Planes Super Stearman I've had on the shelf a few years, all contingent if some hanger space can be found. I've some bikes hanging in the garage that don't get used much any more and might clear them out to make space for a couple of more planes.

It has been windy here this spring and it has cut into flying. As an alternative, I came into a RC sailboat that needed some TLC and after a new mast and rudder and some rigging has sailed well on a new city park pond nearby.

As an effort to promote a little excitement at the field, I've promoted a summer event for our local Fossil Flyer group, the conversion of a foam glider to RC and a summer contest. We have eight signed on and nearing the completion of the builds and ready for the summer series. Will have a June, July and August contest, with each flying three rounds. The gliders will be piggy backed to 700 ft on my Ultra Stick Lite 120, launched to seek a thermal, stay aloft for ten minutes and then spot land. Points for duration and landings. Three monthly winners and a season winner. Pilots can fly their three rounds at any time during the month.

The gliders are available at Hobby Lobby or LHS has gotten some of them from Tower and provided them at cost of $6 so not expensive or that time consuming... and with a little strapping tape spars added to the wings, are strong enough to endure the launch and they fly quite well and respond well to a little thermal activity. They build up with about 4oz sq/ft loading. Running them two ch.

That's news from here...regards