RCU Forums - View Single Post - Painting guide to Waffen SS uniforms
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Painting guide to Waffen SS uniforms

Mortak its all about reference and practice, the first figure I did using these methods took a lot longer that it does now though it still takes time.
Commander, they will get a flat clear coat soon to seal the decals used on some and to take any sheen away from the figures.
Karel, no problems I’m just sorry it has taken so long to complete, displaying them in Germany could be a problem mainly the ones with the swastika on the helmet and the SS decals those without may not be a problem, but it’s always better to ask.

With the jacket completed we now move onto the winter trousers which will be in summer oak leaf pattern, these were issued as reversible trousers to white with either summer or autumn on the outside patterns issued were oak leaf and blared edge patterns and very rare was the pea dot pattern, winter suits were issued in either autumn or summer depending on what was available as opposed to weather conditions.
First we start with painting the base colour again this is our premixed XF52 dark earth and XF2 flat white mixed at 1:1 ration (sorry I haven’t got a picture) once dry we start with the first shade of green this is XF5 flat green and XF2 flat white again mixed 1:1

Then we add the edge in a darker shade of green, also various splodges here and there XF5 flat green and XF52 dark earth again mixed at 1:1

Now we add darker patches and more dots this is XF27 black green

Then its time to add the last shade this time its XF10 flat brown

This is a complex pattern to paint and is best using a reference the larger the better books are good but I just happen to have a zeltbahn that I can unfold.
This is a group shot of the completed figures to show the effect of the camouflage