RCU Forums - View Single Post - How do I brace weak tail
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts
Default RE: How do I brace weak tail

In my opinion most kits with so call weak tails fly just fine if built as design and flown as designed. The "weak" tail is only weak when the pilot flys it a little too hard or lands a little too hard. I have an old LT-40 which if you look at the design could be considered very weak in the way the vertical stabilizer is mounted. I had no problems until the day I parked it in a 100 ft tree canopy. My Eagle scout son went up to retrieve it and the Vertical stab was all he could reach. He pulled the vertical stab off getting the airplane out of the tree. I added triangle stock on each side when I reattached it but I paid a premium in doing so in the form of added ballast in the nose to restore it to the correct balance. I have seen a number of airplanes that ended of way too tail heavy by adding strength and weight to the tail. In my opinion added material for strength in the tail puts more stress on forward sections of the fuselage in a hard landing causing fractures behind the cabin in some cases. To summarize adding tail strength to a proven design is a two edge sword. I'll shut up now I can here the snoring from here!