RCU Forums - View Single Post - Angle of Attack telemetry
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Chris_Rayner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Angle of Attack telemetry

Thanks to all for your observations. I have found details of a full size system similar to what I was proposing here [link=http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Products/AOA/aoa.html]here[/link].

Reviewing their literature it is clear that each aircraft needs to be more or less completely assessed to get the system working properly. With a model this is likely to be most easily done by simply flying the model in various states of trim up to the stall (and with adequate height for certain recovery) and recording the measurements generated. There appear to be readily available pressure sensors of small enough size and cost to make this feasible. I think a couple of these could be installed in the tips of build up wings with a small hole in the upper and lower surfaces connected to a small plenum chamber containing the sensor. With the sensors connected to a small PIC with memory it should be possible to record the traces of pressure changes and see if the data can be made useful as stall warning.

I agree with Woodcutter, this is not necessary if you concentrate and develop a feel for your 'planes. But then the whole business of flying model aircraft is optional, I just choose to do this because I fancy doing it. A 'Lone impulse of delight' if you like.