RCU Forums - View Single Post - Starting out in RC again
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Starting out in RC again

ORIGINAL: mmabc

I've been thinking about getting back into RC planes and pattern flying again. I haven't done it since the early 90s when frequency changes and babies ended my hobby for quite a while. I have a .40 trainer, a .60 size ugly stick, and a Dalotel from the mid-80s. It's been so long, I'm going back to square one starting with the trainer, playing around on the stick, and hopefully working on getting the Dalotel back to top shape. Mainly, I need new engines and radios.

The top of the line .60 OS pump engine I have was under powered for the Dalotel. It never really flew like it should have. It would be nice if I could get it running for the stick. It's all gummed up, and I bet the bearings are all rusted up. Anyone think that might be a possibility? Otherwise, what engine would be really impressive in the Dalotel?

For radios, I want two. One to train my grandson on and possibly later move into the stick. For the other, I want something that will take me as far as I want to go. What would you guys recommend?
Don't know how large the Dalo is. If it has around a 70" span and maybe 800 squares, then I recommend one of the really fine 20cc class gas engines. Possibly the best of the bunch is the OS22cc. The DLE20cc is also a well mannered strong engine. These are a little heavier than the old 60s plus they have their CDI included which add another 3 ounces+. But from a reliability point of view and operation simplicity, they are hard to beat. They truly sip gas, so a 6 oz tank will fly them 20 minutes. Bearing issues, gumming up, etc. are all things that simply don't exist in gas world

Radios, take your pick of the new 2.4 gig equipment from the top four manufacturers. Any of themoffer the most reliable, RFI-free equipment we have ever had. JR, Futaba, Airtronics or Hitec all are superb. If price is an object, then Airtronics and Hitec offer better value. The newest kid on the block is Spektrum....many guys use them.

There's been an explosion of servo offerings too in the last 20 years. Look up on-line for comparisons between servos/prices. For a 70" Dalo, moderate tork and speed, all digital except maybe for engine, is what you want. There are many many servos that will work well and BTW, large, clunky monstrosities of servos are gone. Today's servos arerelatively small by comparison for moderate trok/speed..................It's a great time to fly RC.