RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar 9 Meridian 10cc build thread with Evolution 10cc gasser engine
Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar 9 Meridian 10cc build thread with Evolution 10cc gasser engine

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

I removed the backplate and it was clean inside. I couldn't tell if the crankpin is worn but it looks to be a bit irregular. I can see some slop between the pin and the needle bearing but I can also see a little slop between the wristpin/bushing too. The clicking at idle must be the movement (slop)of the connecting rod when under pressure. I can see and feel it move.
I also noticed what seems like excessive slop in the prop driver and the crank. Didn't look like any excessive wear on the crank, driver or key but there's about 2-3mm of slop back and forth . Just seems like there shouldn't be that much.
Here's some pics and there's really not much to see. Will require a tear-down to find out if anything is worn. Looks like I'll put the backplate on and send it in .

I got the engine back today. They received it on 5/20 , worked on it 5/29 and completed it 6/3. They stated the crank pin deterorated and that also damaged the roller bearing .They also said the piston and liner was a bit scored but said that was probably due to a lean run. They rebuilt the engine in lieu of replacing it due to no stock on complete engines. So everything but the case, carb and head was replaced. They also said it ran good after break-in but I can't believe they ran over a gallon of fuel through it to break it in . Maybe they did.
I don't agree with the lean run because I was always erring on the side of rich even from the break-in and I received a few comments about running it rich.
I will reinstall it and see how it performs.