RCU Forums - View Single Post - TF FW190 GIANT ARF
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Could I talk one of you into posting a picture of the mechanism in your robart electric retracts?
The pin that carries the load of up and down lock in mine seems to bend on anything less than
a perfect landing roll out.
l'm considering installing a second cam block to the mechanism so that both pins share the loads.

Edit:
Nevermind, I found a stock photo of these units.
Look at the drive pin that is in the cam of the inside of the housing assembly.
This is all that is keeping the gear properly located during the down and locked position. As well as the up and locked position.
Obviously the loads in the up position do not come close to those in the down and locked slot.

Here is an email I just sent off to robart from their online contact form.
Dear Sirs,
I had called and sent pictures in on 6/7/13 regarding the ease with which the actuating pin on the trunion was bending on the electric gear for my giant Top Flite FW190.
The pin I refer to is the only load bearing point to keep the gear in the correct angular relationship to the design of the aircraft. This design is too weak as evidenced by the ease with which it bent when at the end of a landing roll out the strut was side loaded as I fought a cross wind to stay on the runway.
I submit, that if you were to properly locate and drill another Housing Assembly, PN# 2.3. The loads could be shared by both pin assemblies. I have searched your parts listing on your web page and was unable to find this part number listed.
Please contact me with price and availability of these parts. As I will be happy to undertake the modification and installation of these into my current units on my own.
Thank You,
Tom Richardi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85176.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1889673