RCU Forums - View Single Post - Joe Nall Incident
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Joe Nall Incident

ORIGINAL: gjmjoe017

A friend of mine took his beautiful Top Flite P-47 there this year.He spent two years on the build and added a lot of scale detail.$3,000 in the project.He was flying the pattern an he and his spotter noticed another plane flying along with him.Mike decided to just hold his position and continue in the pattern.About the time of that thought,the other pilot does an alieron roll right into Mikes P-47 sending it to the ground and destroyed.Mike was so upset he walked away to collect his thoughts.Someone came up and told him that the other pilot said Mike flew into him.It turns out this other pilot is a Futaba Team Pilot.Mike confronted him and he admitted that he flew into Mike.Mike let them know he expected to be reimbersed for the loss.He was told they would get back,to date nothing and no respones from his calls to them.Just doesn't seem right.And by the way,Mike has been a loyal Futaba user for years.Will be interesting to see if Futaba does the right thing.
I completely disagree with this outlook. I had a midair with my 13 foot Corsair, with a 12 foot Ki-100. So, yes I undesrtand the pain and $ (I can assure you well in excess of $3K). And, I am not sure how you can look to Futaba for reimbursement, just because the pilot is sponsored. Yes, it sucks, but it is just part of the game of RC. Unless it was intentional (hard to prove), I don't see how you can look for compensation. I did not look for any compensation for my mid-air. As was stated earlier, I could have manuevered away, but held, afraid I may take him out...could have gone either way in my case. It is just one of the bags of the hobby. I actually took the attitude that at least it was a crash for all to remember. It really is how you have to look at the hobby. See here (go to 2:20 to see the NASCAR view):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sIOr2LFd68

JQ