RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds
Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 PM
okieloco48
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

A big Stearman would be great but in real life the R2800 would squash the Stearman. The Stearman's engine made about 225 HP and the R2800 made about 1750 Hp, LOL! But I have to agree it would showcase the engine! I have a little time before I get to that stage so I will come up with something. I have a scale 33% Monocoupe 110 Special that has a 12" dia cowl that I wanted to fit the R9 in but the engine is so long that it will not lend itself to the Monocoupe.

Something you guys may not have thought of is the fact that the R9 will fit into a 12" cowl which is a 1/5th scale fighter. This is a very small airplane to have a 200cc motor. It will make a 1/5th scale fighter plane a real sky rocket! The R2800 Twin Wasp will be coming later from Authentic Scale and will also fit in a 12" dia. cowl. It will be 400cc but will still fit a 1/5th scale fighter. I can't wait to fly one of those, LOL! May have torque issues but I'll bet I can overcome them! Might just possibly have to treat it like a full scale airplane instead of how most guys treat their model airplanes?