RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds
Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

ORIGINAL: invertmast

ORIGINAL: okieloco48

Believe it or not, some of the less expensive airplanes fly quite well but don't look so hot as for scale fidelity! I am building an exact scale F8F-2 Bearcat for the final home of the R9 that I am testing. I really don't want to do alot of mods on the scale airplane. I would rather do that on a lesser airplane. When first setting up a new engine, fuel system and ignition system, it is better to risk a less expensive airplane to the possibility of dead stick landings, etc.

Exactly my point.. they may fly well, but in my experiences they require allot of mods just to get them to stay together. Put the motor on something that is stupid easy to fly and has easy access to maintain it.. like an AMR Big-stick or something.. That way if you have issues with the motor, it is easily accessible and the airplane has a good chance in being able to glide back around to a safe landing...

This is a brand new design, it will possibly(probably) have some teething pains at first, so ease of access will be nice
I know you have designed this engine to be power for scale WWII fighters, but in the interests of getting flying, why not pick one of the many large aerobatic planes like the Yak, or Sukhoi, and just fly it. It just needs to be in the air. The scale users will come soon enough if it performs as we all hope it does.