RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aeroshell 500 Prohibited
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Aeroshell 500 Prohibited

Hi Tony,

I am an Ex USMC, CH-53 Crew Chief and have been a mechanic since I could pick up a tool. I take mental notes while repairing our turbines and I noticed some were very clean and others had a very bad carbon build up throughout the internals and especially in the rear bearings. We then added the section to our service request form, what oils & fuels our customers are using for our own data compilation. After numerous repairs in the past two years, I found the common denominator of excessive carbon buildup was Aeroshell 500 oil. I shared my observations with Barry and the Factory. We now have seen enough problems to make the announcement to prohibit the use of Aeroshell 500 with our KingTech Turbines.

I have seen in as little as 30 minutes of run time with Aeroshell 500, a coking problem already starting on a recent crashed K-100. The bearing picture I posted in our clinic section was actually after I soaked it in my parts cleaning tank and tried to save the bearing. The balls and races feel like sand is permanently embedded and just gets worse over time. I have seen the coking build up so bad that the bearing would no longer turn. I will have to literally scrape the carbon out of the combustion chambers from turbines ran with Aeroshell 500.

Most other oils leave a brown tarnishing, and as you can see from the pictures, the KingTech oil leaves almost no tarnishing and still looks new. Fortunately for our service center and our customers, I am not just a parts changer; I actually question findings with the Barry and the Factory. We are always working together to produce the best and most reliable turbine on the market and keep them running healthy. I understand other manufactures endorse Aeroshell 500, but their turbines are not built like ours and we know what works best for us. The bottom line is, if you want a Healthy KingTech Turbine, DON'T USE AEROSHELL 500!!

Hope this answers your question,

Dirk Flejter

KingTech Service