RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fabric covering questions
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 01:29 PM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fabric covering questions

Bob,
As entertaining as that would be, it's NOT going to happen.
Since getting back into the hobby a few years ago, R/C Uni and R/C Groups have been a great source for getting up to speed on new materials and techniques. Many skilled modelers (yourself included) have shared their methods and techniques that are appreciated by those of us that simply want to build, fly, and enjoy this hobby. These forums have also been great in learning the "classic" way of covering. I for one have a few models that I intend to cover using dope and fabric, and there are more than a few modelers that have been gracious enough to share their knowledge and skill in this area.
Unfortunately, these forums have also been wrenched twisted by some (I ONLY say "some" as not to single any one person out to keep the baby-sitting mods happy - but, you know) into something that is less than enjoyable. They do not build. They do not fly. Their participation on these forums is purely for the reason of self-service. It is unfortunate that they chose our hobby to infest, as it could have been needlepoint, stamp collecting, or underwater buffalo jousting.
Several months ago, Chip Mull made a comment when a particular person (wink-wink) brought up the subject of using fabric store bought dress lining polyester. Chip explained that this fabric is not the best choice for covering models because it is pre-shrunk for retail presentation reasons. For me, I appreciated the information, tucked that bit of info in my mental toolbox, and moved-on having learned something. "Some" took Chip's info as an attack and responded in typical angry fashion. Good grief!
I have been a woodworker for more than forty years. I've built "kid tested" furniture that withstood much abuse. I did not invent my own techniques nor build my own tools (yeah, like I'm going to put my hands anywhere near a homemade table saw blade!). I learned from proven masters and bought craftsman-level tools. I attended classes and siminars on woodworking - a setting where it was time to shut-up and learn. Nobody paid their mnoney to listen to some hack spout about knowing more than the teacher. And guess what? We enjoyed ourselves - go figure. Not once did I see anyone attend a class in anger.

I've gone through gallons of aliphatic resin glue over the years. I know how to produce a snug joint and how to glue and clamp it. I have cleaned-up the dry squeezed-out glue from a joint and KNOW that the squeeze-out does NOT bind to the surrounding joint areas. I know that aliphatic resin glue remains somewhat pliable for weeks (pending humidity) before it becomes completely dry.
Before gaining the knowledge and skill in applying just the right amount aliphatic resin glue to joints, the excess glue would ooze out of the joint and form a fillet at the joint. I learned from a very accomplished woodworker to wait until the glue was completely dry before I cleaned it off. Guess what? The dry glue would literally chip and flake away from the wood. The real proof of how much (really how little) the glue penetrated the wood was during stain application. If the stained joint was uniform with the rest of the wood, that meant that the glue did not penetrate the wood - it's that simple. Although I can see where if you "visualized" the situation, and you have NO experience to the contrary, you could trick yourself into thinking that a glue-slurried joint is indeed a stronger joint. I don't see a problem with anyone thinking that. What I don't understand is the declaration of WWIII in the quest to always being right, and everyone else being absolutely, and ignorantly wrong.