RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unexpected flight characteristics
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Andrewmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexpected flight characteristics

A beautiful sunny, wind free day yesterday and I had the flying field to myself for the afternoon. Was flying a 4 star 40 with a Saito 56 proped with an APC 12x6.

The last time I flew this plane was about 4 weeks ago and I recall being generally happy with how it flew as I had been experimenting with a throttle to rudder mix to help with straight take-offs and felt that this was working. The mix is 0% rudder deflection below half throttle and 10% rudder deflection at full throttle.

Yesterday however the plane pulled left on take-off and once in the air needed right aileron trim (several clicks) to counter a tendency to roll left. However once that was done at full throttle the plane was flying very nicely. However when coming in for landing as the plane slowed down in started drifting right (as if rudder had been input below half throttle no deflection on mix!). I added left rudder to keep the plane straight on the runway but felt I was coming in too fast and blew off the approach and went to WOT. The plane immediately rolled right and almost touched a wingtip. Came round again and landed and checked the rudder deflection - up to half throttle the rudder was neutral and at full throttle a slight deflection to the right - as expected.

Why then would the plane be veering right on approach (under half throttle) and why would it be rolling right with full throttle input. Also trying to understand why I needed aileron trim input from one flying day to the next - this I think is the issue!

I will check c of g and lateral balance later today, in the meantime any ideas?