RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 AM
ltdive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

This is a reply to tp777fo and many other doubters out there.
Antonio stated that Andy Cane  (Carf models) has airframes waiting for the engines that should tell you something
if you have a look on youtube  (easy search) you will see the guys running the prototype
As to cost, as others have said they think it is a lot of money just ask any scale turbine flyer they often spent upwards of $8000 and Europe has a huge market in turbine boats think  $10000 plus for one of those 2.6mtr 100mph monsters
so for me 9 cylinders or 5 well i go for more and cast in alloy or billet machined well you know the answer and scale looks with the permission of P&W over its a five cyl radial  i go the P&W and as to untested ask anyone with a Moki/RCS and they will all say problems with hot and cold cylinders hard to get smooth idle and if you don't get the electric fuel pump (here in Australia it is a $265 extra) it will never run right and that a Moki 250 here is more than $4500
Sorry to harp on but these guys are Really trying to bring new life to our sport just as Moki/RCS  did and i know everybody said they were too much money now look at how many round engines you see at fly ins
And of the V12?? you can bet everybody out there will want one for their P51 just imagine seeing and hearing that at topgun
Atus already have a 1/5  V12 working with 30 plus inch props and there are companies now producing scale props to fit it Solo props for one
So pipe dreams ? i don't think so i have waited many years for someone to bring out a true scale radial for the masses so i say keep going guys
DA engines may be cheaper but if you want scale you want scale