RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cessna L19 Bird Dog
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 AM
AZThud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cessna L19 Bird Dog

Hi Nodd very nice looking setup.

I am not sure how familiar you are with larger electrics and Castle speed controls, if this is old hat for you then please feel free to disregard. Looking at the setup Iwould estimate that with the prop/battery/motor setup you have you will be producing somewhere around 1200 to 1000 Watts pulling between 50 to 60 amps. As you said this is not a trivial amount of power, the prop would be spinning around 8000 to 8500 RPM, that would be real hard on anyones fingers. You mentioned in your post that at half throttle you saw a considerable amount of power, my guess is that your speed control (SC) is at default settings and thus your throttle endpoints are set to AutoCalibrate. This means each time your SC initiates you need to teach it where the full throttle is set. To do this you run the throttle to full and leave it there for a couple of seconds, then pull it back a bit and your motor should slow down, close throttle, now you are set. The next time you fire the motor up watch the speed control, there is a red light on it as you move the throttle up once it starts to flash the speed control is wide open. My guess is your half throttle test run was very close to full. If you do not like the thought of auto calibrate you can set it to fixed endpoints and adjust it as you would like. To do this you will need to plug the SC into the Castle Link and your computer.

Good Luck, its a great looking project!

Cheers