RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds
Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Authentic Scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pratt & Whitney 1/5 scale radial engine for warbirds

Hi Itdive,
You are correct. The population is going into 8 billion............there is a market out there, especially if you get a HIGH torque engine with no atomization and ignition issues!!!
Plus, my report shows Moki sales at about 750-900 units/year. And we have Valach sales as well..........plus Seidel/Evolution....and look at the Moki 7-cylinder 250 prices!!!
We expect an initial sale of about 150 units/year for the R9-200cc (1/5 scale). Australia alone ordered (Wolf Models) 4 engines. And Bob our engineer was at a big RC jet show near Adelaide and took some of the photos....the guys were amazed this was being manufactured, asking when it would be available for sale. There is market for unique products. Even "G" the owner of CARF models told me this last Top Gun in Florida. He himseld is getting a P-47 ready for our R9-200cc engine....
First, we need to put the product out ther......., but ONLY when it is ready and fine tuned.
We know the R5's engines will have the highest volume of sales. That is why you see so many of them in our Production schedule. BUT, except for gyro-copter use, I do not know any other useful scale application for R5 engines. And P&W did not make them, so our R5 engines will not carry the designation P&W - just R5-xxx (and no scale features on the nose cone will be available; actually the nose cone will be simplified for the R5 and R3 engines, to keep the others with the "distinct" P&W look).
Scale is scale and a 5 cylinder is NOT scale - but it will be always less expensive then a 9 cylinder!! It comes down to the cost PER cylinder and we are at about 40% below our "main" competitor. We are doing VERY well production cost wise. And with a superb finish (you have to have one ion your hands)....
The engine will be tested on CARF planes (Andy Cane is the CARF representative in the USA and now also our dealer, just 15 minutes from my house here in Maryland). He has some Acrobatic Su28/31 plus a Corsair. And he will be flying our B-25 198" ws with the engines as well. Plus the 1/3 Stearman - these are not $700 planes, even if buying only the kits. All these planes are fully built and ready. In Alabama we have a SU-28 ready owned by our in-house test pilot Eddy. And Joe, our technical engineer in Oklahoma is getting ready a Bearcat as well.....good test planes are no problems!!
As for the V-12, we know fixed the final displacement at 301cc (18,3 cu in). The Atus V-12 engine costs upwards $10,000 and it is wider, taller and heavier then ours. So, not a 1/5 scale, thus it will not fit inside a 1/5 scale cowling. Our V-12 Merlin II will come with standard electric starter, radiator and reduction gear. The reduction gear will offer a STANDARD and an OPTIONAL set of epicyclical gears to give 1:1 (3,000 RPM) or 1:2 (6,000 RPM) and the hubs will allow our exact scale 1/5 and 1/4 props to be mounted, but unlike the hubs of the radial engines that allow 35 degrees pitch, the V-12 will allow upwards 45 degrees. Just like the original ones.
Our exact scale props are made also in Australia by Bolly Props.
Solo props/hubs will NOT fit our engine because ALL ENGINES will have splines, EVEN the Single piston engines. Our range of exact scale props will go from 1/6 to 1/4 scale (perhaps a 1/3 scale as well).
Again, the V-12 it will NOT be a high volume sales engine, reason why I mentioned we will offer Inline air-cooled engines (2 cylinders, 100cc, 200cc and 300cc). But about 50 to 100 engines per year we expect to sell.
You get what you pay for - there is no way we can go below what we are doing production cost wise. Unless we end-up like another brand did.......!!!!! That is some things had to be done in the USA only for quality and long life engine operation and these costs much more then the original production cost estimate we had.
We batch a minimum of 100 engines for EACH model to keep costs down. We will try to batch about 300 for each Single, to move CNC cycling upwards. But all this is relative, depending on the volume of sales.....
The other Boxer engine that was mentioned in one post is NOT scale either. Reason why we decided to select the Continental head design for our Flats together with the Continental crankcase design. But I believe we can compete below the other brand prices, based on the experience we now have of the production cost for the R9-200cc engine. Next year, the Flats will be out from 2 to 6 cylinders (F2, F4, F60).
We ONLY MAKE 4-Stroke gasoline fuel engines. The sound and smooth operation is the way to go......and machined from solid bar for an exceptional finish and strenght.
Next week June 24-30 we will resume testing of the last 2 parts we made some adjustments (tolerances). I believe this will satisfy our needs. I just got the track # of FedEx and these parts are on the way to us (enough for 3 engines)
We will be displaying the engine at the exclusive Radial Engines meeting in Germany June 29-30 following the Warbirds over Delaware in the USA.
Just a little bit of patience and we will debut the R9-200cc

Thank you again for posting.