RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tyco Fast Traxx
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM
FastTraxxGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tyco Fast Traxx

Please excuse my thread necromancy, but I figured this was as good a thread as any to ask my questions.

Background Info: I'm currently deployed in the Middle East and will be here until winter. I still have my original Fast Traxx at home from Christmas '91 or '92, and although I haven't played with it in decades, I know it still works. Since my experience with that car back in its prime, I've had 0 RC experience of any kind. I'm vaguely familiar with the basics ofradio and electronic fundamentals, but I'm far from an expert on either of those topics. In my current situation,I've got lots of free time and24/7 access to internet, but it's the government version of the internet, so random sites are blocked. For some reason forums are accessible, but no YouTube or Photobucket, so I see a lot of blank images or nonfunctional YouTube links on the forums I go to.

As a result of the combination of gratuitous amounts of caffeine and boredom, I have decided I want to construct a hobby-grade Fast Traxx. I want it to use original wheels, treads, and body (either 9.6v or 7.2v version) and I want it to be electric. That's all I have for requirements.

I'm such a noob to the RC world that I'm having trouble starting research because I don't even know how to begin this project. I do have some sheet metal experience, and could possibly even fab up an entire chassis on my own, if not at least most of one. So I'm looking for opinions and advice from people with experience about what would likely be the best way to start this project.

Should I create a chassis from scratch, or would it be better to buy one and attach the body to it?

What should I be looking for in electric motors? I would imagine I'll need two, one for each side, so it can actually turn. I tried looking at motors on this site: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/products_drive.htmlbut it's all unicorns and fairy dust to me. I don't even know if that's a respectable manufacturer. I ended up there because I inadvertently discovered the Traxxas XO-1 while searching for Fast Traxx stuff, so then I looked up the motor manufacturer for the XO-1.

Obviously this is going to require a great deal of custom work, probably some fabrication, and I'll probably run into many unforeseen problems, headaches, and expenses. I'm fine with all of that. What are some of the issues that stick out with a project like this? The dual electric motors seems like it might be kind of weird, especially when trying to work a functional suspension system into the mix. I know a lot of people are into RC tanks though, so maybe this actually isn't that unheard of.

I don't know. I basically just need to be pointed in the right direction, and I should be able to go from there. My ignorance makes getting started really overwhelming.