RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Ultimate question - when does it make sense to go gas from glow???

ORIGINAL: earlwb
it is around $15 a gallon if you use aviation fuel.

Not true!. I use Avgas and it costs about 7.25 a gallon mixed with Bel Ray MC1 motorcycle synthetic at 1:50 ratio. Bel Ray is some of the more expensive syn oil you can buy. Redline for example costs about 25% less......I know Aviation gasoline price varies with region but I've never seen it vary by twice.

As I mentioned before, operating cost isn't necessarily the main driver, not for me anyway. And I don't forget the fact that equal gasoline volume runs the engine twice aslong as glow does so the effective cost is halved.

To me, the total lack of maintenance for years at a time, the simple, easy field manners and the power output are the main drivers. But again, for engine displacement smaller than about 20cc, it probably makes less sense to run gas, but maybe not. I don't have anything smaller than 30cc in gas, although I just purchased the VVRC 40 twin which is 2 20's back to back, for evaluation.....Very curious as to what this little mill can do