RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cessna L19 Bird Dog
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Nodd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cessna L19 Bird Dog

The Move
Where the heck have I been? Well I decided to move my entire workshop into a new dedicated, RC only, space. Here we have the workbench installed. That's probably the last time it'll ever look that clean LOL...

See I've already messed up the workbench...

Windshield
Test fitting the front windshield. Naturally it doesn't quite fit...

Before that goes on though, I added these scale support strut things. Unlike the structural ones in the rear window holding the aerotow release in place, these are just for looks...

There's all sorts of options for gluing clear plastic canopies. I've found this stuff does a fair job...

Wing Struts
I've never done struts so making this up as I go. What ever I design, it has to include a quick release system...

The notches cut into the metal rods help give the epoxy something to grab onto. The cotter pins should make life easy when its time to install/remove the struts...

This aluminum bar doubles as a support for the main gear & as an anchor point for the struts...

The bar bolted into the fuselage...

The ends of the bar protrude through the sides of the fuselage where the struts connect...

Pretty sure that'll be good & strong, yet quick-n-easy to setup at the field...

The Other End
On the underside of the wing I made up these little bracket doohickeys to mount the other end of the struts too...

I'm using the same cotter pin system here but these need a 90° angle. Annoyingly my hardened piano wire rod cracked when I attempted to bend it that much, bugger!...

No big deal I thought, I'll try heating it first...

Well that didn't work...

I'm thinking I need to bend these first & then drill the holes for the cotter pin *sigh*

The Tail
I'll deal with the struts later, time for something a little less metallic...

There's a big gap under the vertical stabilizer, obviously I need to fill that in with some wood. I don't like that the v-stab will just be glued on top of that though. I'd prefer something a little more structural. So I decided to make a new v-stab, one that extends all the way down to the h-stab. And while I'm at it, lets make it just a smidgen larger...

As you can see the new v-stab will be bigger than the old one. As long as I don't tell anyone, nobody will notice it's not quite scale *wink*. I figure for aerotowing, a tad more yaw stability can't hurt. Here's the new v-stab roughed out & gluing...

While that's drying I decided to start covering on the h-stab...

And that's a wrap for now, I'll have more to show soon...