RCU Forums - View Single Post - setting up expo on a warbird ?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: setting up expo on a warbird ?

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I certainly agree that the geometry of the physical connections is very important. While a push-rod connected more closely to the output shaft of the servo will mean more travel on the stick for the same deflection, this is nothing like the 'soft' feel that expo gives you in the center of the stick, for movement is 'exponential' not linear. I think these subjects are apples and oranges here. Both great subjects to explore, but completely different.
The reason for going ''in'' on the servo wheel toward the shaft is to maximize torque. This is also true for being ''out'' at the control surface horn. While there maybe some ''expo'' realized here, torque is the main reason for doing this. Granted, this will not always give the desired amount of control movement, so we tend to be other positions to get what we need.
The subject is expo. Expo relates to the 'feel' of the stick. It was in this context that I referred to the amount of movement on the stick, and how that correlates to the location of the push rod connection on the servo arm. Again, torque, or mechanical advantage (leverage), is not in question when discussing expo. It is an entirely different issue during setup. No less important, just a completely different subject.