RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk thread lock (and shimming)
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let's talk thread lock (and shimming)

I've never used thread lock on my clutch bell to drive shaft setups and have had zero problems....until now.

The short version is I noticed the other day my clutch bell on my Mugen (Werks B6) has more play than I had initally set. Upon inspection, the screw going in to the shaft pin was a ittle loose (enough to move the bell out about 1mm). Initially I thought perhaps it was the shimming, but I've gone through about a gallon with this setup and it just now came loose. I tightened it up (bell spins freely) and after about 1 tank I noticed the additional play is back.

I'm VERY worried about putting thread lock on this. If I have to as a last resort - Iwill. It uses a 3x8 button head, but will switch to cap head in the event I strip it a little easier to get out.

Theortically you'd think there was some binding causing the screw to come loose, but as noted the shim set up is good (as I know them to be).
Has anyone else has this issue? How manyof you thread lock this screw?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just checked it and the screw was TIGHT,but there wasatleast 1mm more play then whenI set it last - earlier this week when I first noticed it. Either that or I'm going mad (always a possibility). Bearings are fine, spins like on ice, etc.I'll clamp itdown again (this time with a locking washer) and see what happens thisweekend.