RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk thread lock (and shimming)
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Let's talk thread lock (and shimming)

I don't know why you would want any in/out play on the clutchbell. It seems to me that would beat the bearings up more besides possible uneven wear of the shoes. I set my clutches so there is only enough play to not bind. I keep my clutchbell as close to the flywheel as I can without it touching the flywheel or rubbing on the outside surface of the clutch shoes.

I get several gallons of fuel to a set of aluminum clutch shoes on a .28 engine in a 13lb monster truck running in dirt, grass, and anything else I can find. I replace clutch bearings when they go bad, usually once a year. And these clutch bearings I've been using are $1/each from AvidRC. This regimen wasn't taught to me, it's just what I've found to work the best for my applications. I do the same thing on my 65mph Jato as I do on my slow 45mph 1/8 monster trucks. So take it for what it is, merely my opinion.

I use blue thread lock on any metal screw going into any metal part on the car/truck. Never had one fall out yet, and I've never needed a torch to get a screw out either. Again, that's just my experience.