RCU Forums - View Single Post - Runway take off trouble
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Runway take off trouble

I can remember the nerves. I learned to fly at a club that had all high end flyers. When I set it up mine was the cheapest plane out there by an easy $1000.00. It was way nerve wracking to see all these guys with turbines and aerobats flying their planes at feet or inches on the runway and just wringing their airframes out. Meanwhile I am on a buddy box at 100-200 feet just trying to learn how to control a plane. I crashed my first trainer about the 3rd day of flying while trying to roll I pulled into the ground just like it was the most natural thing to do. After that I kinda looked around and after a bit of jeering I realized that there is nothing that will happen worse than that and I started to relax around it. The guys didn't throw me out they said well welcome to the club we have all done it and helped me get back in the air. I get very nervous flying in front of larger groups but usually after I do a good preflight and get my head into my own little space I can throw up a good looking demo flight. Just recently I had the chance to get coached in pattern some of the world team members my pre-flight and first few minutes of flight were nervous but soon after taking off I relaxed a bit and it was just like flying with my friends they acted as caller for me and coached/critiqued my pattern flying. I would say try to find times when there are not as many folks out and let yourself get comfortable with having a few people then fly with a few more and few more like in steps. Set a goal say for in a year to fly with others. I like having goals and one of mine is to be able to fly in front on competition judges without overthinking my flying. You will be surprised that most of the [pressure you feel is self induced and realizing that will help.