RCU Forums - View Single Post - Runway take off trouble
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Runway take off trouble

Great post and I couldn't help but laugh, it is so very normal. I learned on a small club field and when it was just myself and my basic instructor I had no problems. We used to mow an 8 foot swath for take off and landing. When I started flying at a real club field sometimes it was all I could do to stay on the long wide runway, of course everyone in the peanut gallery was telling me what to do. I finally discovered I was a better pilot them most of them and got over my nerves. Then I started flying IMAA events with a thousand people behind me. By then I was more into watching my plane then worrying about the other people.
I fly a lot off of a dry lake bed these days and have seven square miles of flat. I have a great place to fly but can't get the other guys to fly there, they are so used to the lake bed with all that room they can't land on an asphalt runway that is only as wide as a driveway. You do tend to get spoiled and laxed when you can take off and land anyplace you want/need to. I must admit, the lake bed is a great spot when you are way out there and have a dead stick. You'll get over it after a few days at the club, doesn't take too long to get over the nerves.