RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro direct drive
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro direct drive

ORIGINAL: Sixtysixdeuce

Your going to have to get a rolling start at that ratio or the engine will just die
It won't stall-the concern is toasting the clutch. That's why I opted for aluminum shoes, powerful springs and ceramic bearings.

The OFNA .32 had absolutely no trouble spinning tires on my other GT with the 6.24:1 ratio; despite the taller gearing, this is a lighter chassis and a more powerful engine.

I doubt you will get anywhere near 33,000k rpm's. If that is even accurate, they got that with no load on the engine.
Maybe, maybe not. There is only one way to find out. I'm quite certain it won't have the power to rap out with the current tires, but they ballon to nearly 7'' diameter at just 50 MPH, which is nearly double the engine RPM versus inches of travel that I'll have with the 4'' belted tires. I also know that those tires will probably come apart before I hit 100 MPH. Remember, this engine is meant to be a major upgrade for 1/8 scale vehicles weighing 2 times as much (or more), and with the added resistance of multi-gear transmissions and 4WD. I have very low parasitic loss with only a single differential.

I'm not counting on success the first time out. Or the second, the third. I'm counting on learning the capabilities of the engine and chassis by field testing, and then making the necessary adjustments and modifications to reach the goal. I don't know yet if my downforce will be to little or too much, if my alignment will allow handling at very high speeds when the suspension geometry starts changing, if the brakes will be able to slow it down in time or if they'll be too powerful and put it into a spin, etc. I have to learn these things and then apply the new knowledge.

which clutch springs are you using ? FYI you want the softest clutch springs possible for what you are doing ....the harder the clutch springs the easier the clutch shoes will burn out.......

Also seating the clutch needs to be done more aggressively then what you did....., PIn the car down to the ground and give the engine some bursts of throttle......2-3 second bursts.....