RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to hobby and looking for recommendations
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to hobby and looking for recommendations

your budget does limit your options when it comes to brushless truck.
There are some Brushed trucks in that price range which will be better suited for your boy.

The caldera as the volcano are decent trucks for the money. I have owned them both and I like them a lot. I however have been in the hobby for some time and know how to sort out a problem or come up with an easy fix.

Part of the reason the redcat models cost $100 or more less than other brand's 4wd brushless truck is cause they are assembled in china and that is also where the quality control is. Needless to say, the quality control then is not as good as with Traxxas, Losi ect.

Redcat does back up their models well, both with parts support and warrenty. I personally had a new truck arrive with a bad radio. emailed redcat and had a new radio at my door in 6 days.

If you are dead set on brushless and cant spend more than $200, then go fro the caldera. It is just a bit slower than the volcano but is larger and more durable of the 2.

I only caution those new to the hobby about redcat cause if there should be a problem out of the box, it can be very disappointing and a pain trying to figure out whats wrong. see jang's review of the caldera:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5U-CGrEN7I[/youtube]

If you are willing to consider a brushed truck, then hands down get the ECX torment. waterproof, 2wd short course truck that is RTR. This truck can be upgraded later on to brushless for $80-$100. Out of the box it will do 25mph. If you upgrade to a 2s LIPO battery, more like 30mph. Its a good basher that also does well on a track.

I have owned nearly every redcat electric model. I think they are good models for their cost. Ive also learned a few tricks which make them (especially the epx pro) tougher.

check out my volcano on ice:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmv9PkyHus[/youtube]