RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to hobby and looking for recommendations
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to hobby and looking for recommendations

ORIGINAL: collector1231

Go with the 2WD Slash. Its ready to run, extremely durable (haven't had to replace a part in 2+ years. I even use it with a jump onto concrete.). If you'd go to my LHS, they'd set you up with a slash. Redcats aren't really the best quality and there is absolutely no LHS support for parts.
not true for all hobby shops.
redcat has over 400 dealers, they aint all online.
but yes, check to see if your hobbyshop carries redcat before buying one.
my local hobby shop doesn't...but since I usually own 4-5 models at one time, if I have to wait a week for a part to come in the mail its not a big deal.
But if you only own 1 model, you want to be able to run down to the hobby shop and pick up a part for it.

also, I think youll find the slash is a bit above your price range. and IMO, the torment handles better out of the box than the slash. the slash is a bit faster (mainly due to the 7cell nimh included instead of a 6cell like the torments) but on a short race track I could beat a slash with my torment.

My local track has an indoor setup that is 60'x80'....with lots of twists and turns. on that short track my torment (stock except for shocks and a 2s lipo) was just as fast as a traxxas slash 4x4 running a 2s lipo! With 4wd and brushless the slash is way faster in a straight line, but on a tight race track the torment handles very well. I really liked that truck. Kept it until I started racing SCT regularly.....the torment's high CG chassis cant compete with a SC10, Blitz or losi XXX truck. Now I have a SC10. But I think I can honestly say that the torment was just as durable as my SC10 (which has some upgrades to it)
If it were my money....between the ecx or the slash Id buy the slash. If I had $250 (I think that's what the slash goes for) Id buy the torment and spend the extra on another battery.