RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to hobby and looking for recommendations
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to hobby and looking for recommendations

ORIGINAL: Boostedeco

Now with the torrent is it lipo ready or will I need to do some upgrades in order to run the lipo. My budget is actually $250-275 but that was with buying a extra battery and charger if needed so that why I set the car price at $200. I also like the torrent was waterproof which I don't think the caldera is.

one other question would you recommend a 4x4 or 2wd. Obviously 4wd adds more parts for my son to break but that aside would the 2wd torrent do good in grass since that's what it will be in a lot of the time.

Btw I plan on playing with this toy, because like I said in my first post I plan on getting one just not now. Other priorities for me first! But thanks so much for the help so far guys.

caldera is not waterproof. and with a younger driver, waterproof can be a plus. sometimes those puddles are hard to see...LOL.
4wd is obviously better in grass, but as long as the grass isn't more than 2 inch tall the torment will do just fine. But its packed dirt where the torment is the most fun!
I know the torment will handle a 2s lipo....cant recall if the ESC has low voltage detection or not. I think it does, but ask the hobby shop owner first. You can run a lipo in it even if it doesn't have LVD by running a low voltage alarm (very cheap on ebay, $5-$10) or just know when to stop driving. A lipo will have a sudden drop in power when the cells hit 3.0v Its not recommended to run them that low (most low voltage cutoff esc's cut power at 3.2) but as long as you notice that drop in power and stop running it will be fine.
But a 6cell nimh of 5000mah will provide good power and nearly as much runtime as a 2s 5000mah lipo. The extra $85 youd be left with can buy 2 more nimh batteries and a quick charger off hobbypartz. even the hobby shop will likely have a decent nimh and charger for $80-$90.
For a young one the torment will be better. Caldera is fun, but would likely require more repairs. It has a decent driveline, but no slipper clutch. That clutch can absorb landings with the throttle on, or the impact when one drives into something and keeps on the throttle...things younger drivers do often. The torment has a slipper clutch which will save the tranny when those things happen.
Torment also has longer lasting tires (many caldera owners have to buy new tires within 10-15 battery packs) and they also have good tread that works in dirt and still good on pavement.

Only issue my torment gave me was the steering. the system is a bit on and when I replaced my steering servo there were screws that were hard to align correctly again. But that issue didn't come about until after a full summer of bashing.
Only parts that ever broke were the steering and rear wheel hubs. And they didn't break often. Replacement parts were cheap to.