RCU Forums - View Single Post - New to hobby and looking for recommendations
Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to hobby and looking for recommendations

ORIGINAL: Boostedeco

I plan on staying with the nimh packs but just going with a 5000mah. I noticed the factory charger that comes with the car is a 1 hour charger but I'm gonna assume that's with the stock battery and a bigger battery will take longer. However if/when I do buy the charger I will like to get one that charges all batteries types because like I said I plan on getting myself a nitro or brushless car and will run a lipo if i get a brushless.

Since the local hobby shop has the torment in stock but $40 more than online I'm gonna call and see if they will price match or maybe throw in a free bigger battery.
you r correct, a 5000mah battery will take much longer on the stock charger. the thunder charger (or any other charger with an adjustable charger rate that is capable of up to 5amps) will take at most an hour for a 5000mah pack. much less for the stock 1800mah pack.
Don't for get about buying some deans or traxxas plugs for the batteries and the ESC. I usually buy pre-wired deans plugs off ebay...that way I can just cut off the stock plug and splice the deans plug on. If you know how to solder, then you can buy just the plug...cut of the stock one and solder on the better one.
I didn't realize you could find the torment for $150. got a link to that? Im just wondering which version it is.