RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk thread lock (and shimming)
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 03:32 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Let's talk thread lock (and shimming)

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

You're over-thinking this. I've said already; shim it so that the shoes are completely covered, the clutchbell doesn't touch/rub the flywheel or clutch shoes, doesn't move in and out, and most importantly doesn't bind. If you have the right thickness shims, you should have no issue shimming the bell to have zero play and not bind. No play does NOT mean it will bind. There is too little, too much, and just right.
Wrong sir. I am not overthinking this.Also, watch the down-taking, okay? I tried to be cool with you and expect the same in return. I don't care how many years expeience youhave. For allyou know, someone with feweryears can have equal to or greater than experience in that domain (as I have a feeling is the case her based on your posts).

Thefacts are:I advocated .25-.5mm of play. You advocated NOplay. Idisagree withyou. This is not my firstrodeo with shimming andwill continue with the advice of M2C, Werks, Buku, Losi, Hot Bodies, etc. who ALLrecommend.25-.5mm play.Oh, and I have worked with ALLthose clutches, so yeah....I'm not afraid toconsult with TRUE experts and while I gain my own experience. Oh, and I called the guy who taught me a lot about clutch setups (I won't drag his name into this....BUT he is the owner of one of the brands I just noted)....and he re-verified that "some" play required, and that "no" play will bind AND jack up your bearings. He was like "why are you even asking this?" and told him....nevermind. ;-)

So pleasedon't come in here like some "shimming Jedi" and have an "I am right and anyonewhodisagrees with me is wrong" attitude....especially when your stance of NOPLAY is on very shaky ground as it is.Instead of touting how you go one yearwithout changing $1 bearingsandhow you have a 65mph Traxxas Jato, try to open your ****ing mind . Then maybe YOU will learn something. No matter how far I go in this hobby, I will always keep an open-mind and never think I am to good to learn anything- but instead continue to find ways to improve.. Try it. You'll get much wiser that way, I assure you.

It'srare for meto lash out like this...but DAMN!

I'm done with this thread (so everyone put theirpopcorn away)and have no hard feelings toward you.. Once again, just watch who you talk down to.