RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jet Insurance?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 06:18 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jet Insurance?

Well, a couple of years ago my Skymaster Dragon had a Festo filter fail, causing a fuel leak and fire which totaled the airframe, compromised the radio components and damaged the turbine. I have an "All Risk" homeowners policy which means that if it is not specifically excluded, it's covered. The policy specifically excluded "full scale airplanes". It did not exclude model airplanes. My claim was for almost $6000.00. The adjuster didn't even question it. He asked for photos and proof of the cost. I emailed him the photos of the damage, the link to Skymaster's website showing the Dragon and links to all replacement parts on Dreamwork's website. I also submitted the repair bill for the turbine repair, about $800.00. I had a check for the full amount less my deductible in about a week.

In my conversation with the adjuster, he told me that since a part failed on the airplane, it was covered. Had I dumb thumbed it, they probably would have denied it. If the airplane had been stolen, damaged in transportation, sitting at the field or in my house or whatever, it was covered.

This was my experience with my insurance company. I do not have my airplanes specifically insured. Just don't forget, dumb thumbs and brain farts are going to be denied.

Jim
Farview RC Flyers
Hamburg, PA