Old 07-16-2013, 05:39 PM
foster4u
My Feedback: (112)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FEJ Hawk

ORIGINAL: Hinckley Bill

ORIGINAL: foster4u

Bob,
I asked for specific changes prior to agreeing to order the aircraft. If they would have said no then I would not have agreed to make the purchase. I typically do not stress the little things like leaking cylinders and brittle hinges as I can repair or replace them cheaper than they can do this for me. I do understand that there is no free ride but rebuilding these relatively inexpensive (ARF like) aircraft is cheaper and easier than building a more expensive jet kit. I do not have the patience or skills to paint the way I would like to.
My manual starts with:
Step 1 – Disassemble aircraft
Step 2 – Evaluate structure
Step 3 – Repair or replace components
Step 4 – Start building…
Funny thing is that this is the same process I use on all ARF’s, aircraft bought used, and kits. Currently in work are two hotspots, two FB Hawks, one FEJ F-4 which is my hangar queen as I just haven’t finished with all of the things I want to do to it. And the FEJ A-7 waiting for me to make final payment and take delivery.
Stay on them about getting the things you need and enjoy the hobby.

Bill,

It's great that your knowledge of the 'good and bad' in an aircraft is such that you are able to make the necessary changes when necessary........it's a skill I'm still building up.

Unfortunately I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of modelers these days do not have the skill set to properly evaluate an airframe, much less make the changes necessary if/when they recognized the need to do so.

And quite frankly I scratch my head wondering why anyone paying good money would need/want to have to do this???? I enjoy the challange and love their choice of kits and size.

We are not talking about SIG Kadets or starter aircraft here, but rather some of the most sophisticated planes flown in the RC world today.

If a manufacturer does not have, or will not acquire, the expertise needed to ensure that the aircraft they produce and sell will function properly AS BUILT WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATIONS under the normal conditions that it can be expected to endure then they should not bother putting them out in the marketplace for unwary consumers. This is something that they definitely need to address. Perhaps ignoring the call to go lighter and return to standard construction.
Me, I had my experience with FEJ a few years ago and was fortunate enough to get my money back thanks to my CC company.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, so I never looked back.

Bill