RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kentucky FEJ big Hawk Crash Video
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 02:38 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kentucky FEJ big Hawk Crash Video

Well...not exactly.

FWIW...some aircraft pitch up when flaps deployed, some down...some don't change at all.

Your stabilator explanation is potentially flawed as well. If the stabilator was an inverted airfoil (like the Saab 340...almost an inverted Clark Y airfoil) I would agree with your statement. On the Hawk, I believe the airfoil is/was symmetrical/semi symmetrical therefore neutral unless the stab pitch is changed.

That being said, there was no time or chance to do anything. The stabs came off and less than two seconds later the jet was taking a dirt nap.

Beave [8D]

ORIGINAL: cyphur01

Disco.

I will keep it brief. The stabilator in this case provides down force to keep the aircraft level with an opposite force to the center of lift which is normally behind the center of gravity. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_(aircraft) ) When they blew off, flaps would have only pitched the aircraft down harder due to the increased camber in the wing and movement of the center of lift to making the angle attack of the wing increase. The plane was basically an arrow at the point the stab departed. Ali, being a full scale pilot, not that he was thinking about this at the time, knew the aircraft was doomed and shut it down and let gravity take its course.