RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: OS 33GT Gasoline Engine for Pattern

ORIGINAL: MTK

If you ever decide to take another look at gassies, the GT33 is the right one. Hatori makes a header for it (also fits the DLE30 and several others). It loves a load so prop it accordingly, supply adequate cooling to it and see for yourself. My GT33 set-ups are terrific with either the ESC 30G or 40G pipes. I am certain that the new 35G pipes will work the same

I've stopped looking for single cylinder engines in this size. I have found what's needed in highest level Pattern comp. There's minimal downside, if any.....maybe downlines. But I've seen electrics go faster in the downlines than my GT33 does

I am looking at the small twin just to see if other characteristics (vibes) can benefit and if there's a down side
Downside of small twins:
The volumetric efficiency of a twin is always less - no matter how you look at it
Just like the RN of a smaller model changes efficiency - no way around it .
IF the twin was providing two power pulses per rev- then it would be something in it's favor
BUT- the imbalance would be a killer .
four strokes go bang then wait two turns
the prop accelerates then decelerates over a longer period-making serious airframe loads .
Everybody rationalizes to explain their own preferences.
I do - you do - everybody does.
Gear boxes and belts are a pain to use -and listen to- been there -but really work!
I will have to go see Ed and see what he is working on-