RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Guys Cessna 150 Aerobat Gas to Electric Conversion
Old 07-21-2013, 06:20 PM
clandestoy
My Feedback: (112)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Guys Cessna 150 Aerobat Gas to Electric Conversion

Hello, I am new to the electric side of RC and I think a little introduction is in order. Having always flown glow and gas engines, I have recently discovered the performance and benefits of flying electrics. It started with a used Mini Funtana that I traded for to be able to fly during my lunch hour. It was small, easy to fly, and required no liquid fuel or support equipment to carry around in my truck.

Greatly impressed by this little powerhouse, I recently acquired a Pacific Aero Models Clipped Wing Monocoupe already set up with an Eflite 160, a Castle Creations Ice2 HV160, and running 10S. This setup has impressive power and really flies that plane with plenty of punch to do almost any maneuver you can throw at it, vertical is almost unlimited. This is now my favorite plane to fly!

Having been electrified by this new "ride", I have an RC Guys Cessna with a Zenoah G26 that I want to convert to electric. I have searched the electrics forums but cannot find any threads on a conversion of that plane. I am thinking about using the same exact setup as the one I have in the Monocoupe, but I am not sure if this will be enough power to give the Aerobat spirited performance. I have attached a picture of it for reference.

I have no experience in choosing setups for electrics and would like to get some input from the forum. I plan to sit the batteries in the space where the fuel tank presently resides on an adjustable and removable platform to allow the adjustment of the CG, and also mount the ESC up front with the motor to ensure it keeps cool. I am not sure if the batteries will require some venting for cooling as well, this would require cutting some holes in the firewall, something I am not too big a fan of. I also have questions of what size 3 blade prop to use with this setup.

Any recommendations and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Cesar
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52794.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1902877