RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spektrum Altimeter
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Altimeter

ORIGINAL: jrazzarelli

Andy

So far the altimeter is a little disappointing.

First it is almost never zero or even a few tenths off at startup. Usually like -3.6 ft, which is a bit large of a variance for just starting up and sitting in a room without air movement. The tolerance should be able to be attenuated (?) if you were able to set the practical range of the sensor. If I have no intention of ever going above 1000 ft AGL, then its ability to sense pressure change to 50,000 ft or whatever is not relevant for me.

I put the sensor into a small block of open cell foam and it started counting down and kept going down to -487 ft. or something. Reset everything and it did it again. Apparently something occured when I stuck it in the foam. So I took the Spektrum sticker/housing/decoration off. I think the sticker was stuck to the top of the sensor or the micro-molex leads had poked through the sticker and there was some conductivity - heck I don't know.. But It seems for a few pennies more you should/could have put a small piece of foam inside to cover the sensor, which would help it be more accurate without the end user having to put it in a block of foam.

And finally, there is no way to get the DX18 to show the altitude and the voltage at the same time, which is disappointing. Even adding a 'current reading' to the telemetry min-max screen would be welcome.

Best,

Joe
3.6 feet is a tiny variation if just sitting in a room.. Its a matter of perspective.. i fly real corporate jet aircraft with highly expensive electronic and baro altimeters and often they can be 50 feet out and reading very differently to each other.

I had a friend who was a balloonist and he had a professional electronic altimeterr worth many thousands of dollars and it showed variations of 20-30 feet at start up..

GPS is only accurate to about 30 feet also.. and if you look at the alititude display derived purley from GPS it can vary hundreds of feet wtihnin minutes just sitting motionless on the ground.

From my perspective the numbers being quoted here for the Spektrum altimeter at start up show me it is extremely accurate.