RCU Forums - View Single Post - SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Iron Dog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SAMs 1st Annual VALLEY OF SPEED Scale Warbird Race, Aug. 4th

ORIGINAL: carider67

Ollie, here are some of the pics of the P-39 - it has the same "Tufflex" plastic/rubbermaid fuse as my EZ Mustang 30, and it flies great and holds up well. Before I start gluing it together with horse by-products, did you maybe want to see about pulling a mold for the fuse, cowl, and canopy? Could make some hot .40 size 2strokers......

The problem with 4 stroke (heavy) motors is they have to be mounted at 90 degrees - side mount - or strait up & down, because of the front landing gear. I was planning on going with a hot 2 stroke & pipe on mine, and e-Flite Retracts x 3. Let me know about the molds, I think everybody knows I'm on very limited time w/ the Cancer and also am fighting hard to get more visitation with the Babies....
Chris,

Thanks for the offer, but making molds would be too long-term a committment for you right now. I've sold my house, and am in contract for a new one (less than 3 miles from SAMs). Withso much going on(paperwork, inspections, packing, moving, putting VALLEY OF SPEED, etc.), it would take me too long to get to it. I wouldn't want to keep you from being able to fly yours. Especially, beings I already have molds from my own design that have flown very successfully. I still plan on making more of my P-39s, just need to get settled before I can even think about it, and finish the P-47 from my Trinity Build Thread, first.

You might also consider mounting at a 45 degree angle, leaning slightly downwards (as on my last P-39, pictured below), or slightly upwards. I don't like ALL the weight of the large YS 4-strokes hanging straight off to the side when mounted at 90 degrees; and, am tired of damaging my engines on gear-up landings, etc. when mounted inverted or at a downward 45, so am going to mount the next one on a 45 pointing slightly up towards me. My suggestion would be to consider doing the same. Especially beings this would make it ideally positioned for access while starting, too.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59922.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1903567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96194.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1903568