RCU Forums - View Single Post - Small mods to an Balsa USA Enforcer...
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small mods to an Balsa USA Enforcer...

ORIGINAL: ser00

The canards would be fixed (0° and located along the center line on the plans).
From what I've seen canards are very prone to damage. I Binged photos of Balsa USA Enforcer and quite a few have small canards.

Part of me is thinking to either make the canards larger and functional ( I believe that I can calculate the new CG based on whatever size I make the canards)
If you make them functional you'll have to treat the plane as a canard not a delta. With a delta as you pull back the elevators become less and less effective until you reach Max Alfa, the canard should stall first never letting you pull the really high Alfa.

I have a EDF unit I was thinking of putting in a larger Polaris XL, basically your plane, and getting rid of it's "T" tail. With no stab it would become a delta which would be hard to ROW, so I was thinking canards also, but to get the most out of them you'll have to reverse the elevator functions of the elverons. If you reverse the elevator and pull up you increase lift on both the canard and the delta wing, it's more complicated, but you wind up with a wide speed range. RCM Cobra from ~'75 used this function, now it would be easy to do using computer radios.

or making a larger LEX and have no canards.
I like the large LEX, think SR-71.

The only thing is I only have a basic understanding / idea of how to add the LEX but do not know how to calculate the CG properly with the LEX added. I know that it will extend the root chord length but it will not extend all the way to the tip chord. It will not go much more past the 2nd rib from the side of the fuselage. If you have any more suggestions, I would love to hear them!
The cool thing about what you are doing is I don't think you can go wrong if you make it too nose heavy. You won't be able to rotate easily if it's too nose heavy so you just keep taking nose weight out until it rotates.