RCU Forums - View Single Post - How does a gas engine act when hot?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How does a gas engine act when hot?

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

After looking at your pictures and thinking about it a while I came to the conclusion that there really is no good way to baffle this installation. The two small intakes are just in the wrong place and the whole bottom of the cowl is open. I understand that you mounted the engine upright for scale appearences anf your plan is to install a scale dummy engine. That being said I think I may have a viable solution. IMO if it overheated at low power settings on the ground it will just be worse in flight. That Quadra already has a cooling fan on the front of it. All you need to do is fabricate the shroud. This would be an easy task using blue or pink insulation foam to carve a plug, cover with packing tape and lay up some glass over it. It works for whatever tool the engine was originally intended for, why not here?
Yes, vertical grimmace, what happened to your engine are the symptoms of overheating: the rings cannot expand anymore into their gaps and put tremendous force onto the cylinder wall, creating high friction and more heat, reason for which the engine cannot start again for a while.

As the quoted post explains, you need forced ventilation around those fins.

That is a slow airplane and air forced by its speed only goes from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure.
If you were the air, would you go around those fins while taxing and flying?
If so why and how much?

When you engine is putting out 1 HP, it is generating the heat equivalent to 22 light bulbs of 100 watts each.
Not so much at idle, but that gives you an idea of how much cooling air these engines need.