RCU Forums - View Single Post - ZIROLI 98" P-51B MUSTANG
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ZIROLI 98

It's actually cooled off a bit for July. It was in the 90's with humidity to match for a while.

It's interesting to note the performance of our B-25 motors due to the weather. Temp and humidity goes up...rpm goes down just like the fuel funnycar. To bad we don't have the computer the race car have. haha Our radio systems are complicated enough as it is.

We have a P-51 also with a 5.8 motor. I was hoping we could fly it this summer but my son wants some changes to the scale exhaust and cowl.

You are really progressing fast on the P-51 build. I did almost exactly the same mods to the gear mounts as you have done. I used a 1/8 x 1 aluminum bar for the wing joiner however. I secured this with SHCS thru the gun ports and made a special long allen wrench tool to install them. I also made FG molded gear doors and an attempt at scale liner for the inner doors. Part of this was to stiffen the inner doors so they close more evenly. The scale mount of the operating cylinder pulls and pushes on the edge so it bends the doors slightly. Usually leaving the leading edge open a small amount. I even made a locking servo mount but we removed that and stiffened the doors more. They are very light weight. The gear seems to be the weak point in the whole system. I guess it would be better for the gear to fail than to rip it out of the wing but damage to the belly will greater.

One other detail I did after seeing one go in due to the tail separating was to wrap .007 x .500 carbon fiber strips from the top and bottom of the horizontal stab around the fuse up to the wing filit. 4 strips. I used just a small amount of filler to blend these in before final glassing. There is very little filler on the plane before paint. I negletected to take pictures.

I also counter balanced both the ailerons and the elevator. I like your servo placement...I didn't think of that.

What are you planning to use for a motor in this beauty??

The Precision Eagle 5.8 we have is a Sachs based model. Very powerfull. It turns out that the crankshaft taper is smaller than a G-45 by quite a bit. I have had a lot of trouble with the aluminum prop hub coming loose. We are on the 4th one and I think before we fly it I'll make a steel one. I already have cad model designed that is only 1 oz heavier. I just need the exact dimentions for the taper. the keyway will take a special tool also but I think I can make a bushing for this if I can get a broach. Otherwise I'll send it out and have it wire EDM'd.

Keep up the great work.....I'm going out to play senior baseball while you are cutting grass. haha