RCU Forums - View Single Post - Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 PM
The Raven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

YOU GOT IT!!!!

I knew it was a hard question as it involved a number of aircraft in a strange configuration. I'm not sure that anyone runs parasitic fighters now, although parasitic UAVs are much more feasible with todays technology.

Zveno (Russian: Звено, Chain link or a military unit "Flight") was a parasite aircraft concept developed in the Soviet Union during the 1930s. It consisted of a Tupolev TB-1 or a Tupolev TB-3 heavy bomber acting as a mothership for between two and five fighters. Depending on the Zveno variant, the fighters either launched with the mothership or docked in flight, and they could refuel from the bomber. The definitive Zveno-SPB using a TB-3 and two Polikarpov I-16s, each armed with two 250 kg (550 lb) bombs, was used operationally with good results against strategic targets in Romania during the opening stages of the German-Soviet War. The same squadron afterwards also carried out a tactical attack against a bridge over the River Dneiper that had been captured by advancing German forces.[1]

Over to you for the next question.

Here's Johnny..... (for those that remember the phrase).