RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wave King CG?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wave King CG?

I realize this is a very old post, but just today have found it again.

My Wave King is still just sitting in the corner, being patient and awaiting my attentions. Drawing out an outline of the fuselage without engineering internal structure would be easy enough, if anyone is up to designing their own internal structure. Also tracing out the wing and tailplane airfoils is easy enough. Why, you could even design your own built-up wing structure....

There is what appears to me a serious weakness in the tailplane, in that the horizontal stab is simply glued into the unreinforced saddle, and the vertical fin simply butt-glued onto the top of the stab. As the rudder is completely above the stab, there is no rudder post to tie things together. I think this area calls for a redesign.

Then there's the wing-mounted tip floats. Ken Willard's design had them gum-banded in place; the Wave King version is similar. There has to be a better way here too.

Needless to say, the wing needs bolts - gum bands are out here too.

If I knew there was sufficient interest in this design to make creating a fibreglass fuselage mould worthwhile, I'd be tempted to get going on such an endeavour. Any input on that?

I'll try to stay current on this discussion.

Cheers!