RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 AM
stivvy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Hi Gary, I read about the Rainbow tronics for the Moki engines. My understanding is that it's only for the 150. The high voltage ignitions for the 215, 250 , and 400 are the old Moki design and the only difference from the original is that they can use high input voltage. I know that you're running a 215 in the Carf Corsair and got confused when I read that you got a new ignition for it. Having said that, have you run the new Moki ignition and did you notice any increase in performance? I recently talked with Goetz and he's using the new high voltage setup in his 400 but couldn't honestly see any change in performance. It's too bad that the cam timing setup in the larger engines can't use the new Rainbow. Hope to here your results. Mitch (the other one....not Down and Locked).
Yes. Thank you for the post.

There are two completely different ignitions out there, in addition to the original Moki ignition.

The new Moki ignition is redesigned for higher voltage input (up to 10V with at least 9V recommended). A better spark is the goal. It is new, and is considered an upgrade. It can be used on any size Moki.

The Rainbow Tronics is an ''aftermarket'' ignition and is available right now for the S150 and S180 only. It also uses high voltage (of up to 12V). It has stronger spark, easy start (spark goes into burst mode), new timing and a ton of features in the software (giving you fantastic LED based feedback on status and codes).

I am replacing the OEM Moki ignition with their new version. Changes by manufacturers are made for a reason, and I like the higher voltage.
Hi Gary,

Just picking up on this re the new ignition.

I have a 215 which would probably benefit from the upgrade.

Could you advise what the modification involves, what cost and where from please.

(Sorry if this is going over old ground)

Steve D