RCU Forums - View Single Post - Self taught flying - My diary / progress
Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 AM
BobFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Self taught flying - My diary / progress

Carl, drube's comment was great! Get a simulator. On days where the weather is too bad to fly you can be flying the sim. It is not exactly like the real thing, I know I've found the site picture hard to follow at times due to the lack of peripheral vision, but the way the plane handles is really quite real.

I do want to comment on your engine tuning. There are several websites out there that can show you how to tune your engine, just Google, "RC glow engine tuning" and pick the one that makes the most sense to you. You always want to have the engine rich. Too much rich is better than any lean. The more you run lean the faster you will burn up the engine. Also a good check just before you go flying is to pinch the fuel hose. The engine RPM should increase, then go back to normal if you are set right.

I know I run 15-18% glow that will work for both 2-stroke and 4-stroke because I fly both. Also I've found synthetic fuel leaves less mess. Also if you haven't done so already, turn your muffler nozzle so it is pointing up, this will reduce the amount of mess you have to clean after the flight, most of it will be on top of the wing instead of all over the body.